More Able, Gifted & Talented in English
Students that are more able, gifted and talented in English may excel in a particular area such as creative writing, analytical writing or debating. They may be successful in all aspects of English, demonstrating a range of advanced skills listed below:
- Read texts perceptively and effectively recognise different interpretations, as well as forming their own fully developed interpretations of texts.
- Infer and deduce meanings in a range of challenging texts and respond to them as critical, independent readers.
- Analyse writers’ techniques and intentions in a sophisticated level of depth.
- Explore how texts are related to their social, historical and cultural context; they show full understanding regarding the importance of context.
- Demonstrate the ability to write successfully in a range of styles, adapting their language and tone to suit the purpose and audience of the text.
- Use a sophisticated and impressive style of writing that is detailed and accurate.
- Utilise an extensive vocabulary and a range of literary techniques in an imaginative way.
Speaking and Listening skills:
- Discuss their ideas confidently and articulately.
- Explain their opinions persuasively in a debate, using a range of rhetorical devices.
- Respond to others sensitively and make effective contributions that help to develop a debate or discussion.
There is debate club for KS3 after school on Thursdays and there are plans to run a creative writing club for KS3 for next year.