Quick Links

Useful Links

Bishop Thomas Grant School

About BTG

The school is named after the first Bishop of SouthwarkThomas Grant (1816-1870) who was named in the First Vatican Council. The school was opened on 9 September 1959 as a voluntary aided, coeducational 11-18 Catholic comprehensive school. The first of its kind in the South of England. It was the vision of Canon Crowley, the Parish Priest of English Martyrs Church in Streatham. He passionately encouraged his parishioners to donate all they could to help build the school in the 1950's. The school site was originally a farm and the land was donated by the Diocese of Southwark to build the school. It finally opened in 1959 and was dedicated to Christ the King. 

The school badge reflects Bishop Thomas Grant's coat of arms, the crown to represent Christ as a King and the alpha / omega  endurance of Christ along with it's motto is "Instaurare Omnia In Christo, To unite all things in Christ" 

The school's large illuminated Cross is proudly lit at night and can be seen in its prominent position on a hill above Streatham Common. 

The school has successfully served thousands of Catholic children in the local area, particularly through successive family generations and is thought to be one of the best in South London. Many of its successful students are well known for example Ben Cross, the actor and footballers such as Nathaniel Clyne, Nathaniel and Trevoh Chalobah to name a few. 

In September 2009 Bishop Thomas Grant re-opened their sixth form which had closed in 1986 due to the re- organisation of the local Catholic schools as a result of declining numbers. The Sixth Form is hugely successful and continues to thrive from strength to strength in numbers. 
 

 

Copyright © 2019 Legal Information | Website Design: Greenhouse School Websites